Saturday, March 10, 2018

Ciudad Perdida, Day One


Expotour's checklist for things to bring made some decisions easier: warm hoodie and fleece jacket obviously weren't needed even at night, which eliminated some weight already. Against my better judgment Johann insisted I take my small laptop so that I could keep the blog writing updated, and we both took our books: we were bound to have long evenings. Other than that we travelled light. Still, even four shirts, a pair of long pants and a long-sleeved shirt, four pairs of socks and underwear plus toiletries each add up to some weight, especially since I was not carrying anything. Johann's backpack, while not as heavy as for back-country hikes at home, was big enough.

When we had finished our lunch in El Mamey Jorge laid out the plan for the next few days for us. We would reach our first camp sometime before dark (which means by six or shortly after here) after an eight kilometre hike, with a couple of stops for water or fruit in between. It sounded completely doable.
The other table in the small restaurant was occupied by a group that had just returned, with a few stragglers coming in while we ate. They were in a celebratory mood. When we were lined up and ready to go one of them came up to me and handed me a walking stick cut from a branch. 'Take it,' he said, 'it'll be your best friend on this hike.' I'm not much used to walking with a stick, but I took it. There would have been more sticks to be taken over, but nobody else felt the need – maybe nobody else was approached with such conviction either – and Johann, too, didn't think he needed one.

As I said, Johann had insisted to carry my notebook, so I had no choice of using it, did I? That first evening I actually managed, but unfortunately that was the only time. It is quite different to write from the immediate experience rather than looking back. Here, then, is what I wrote the first night.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The bunks
and the hammocks, overflow beds and almost always used by the guides


It's 8:30 in the evening here in our first camp on the trek to the lost city, and I'm in my bed already. People are starting to brush teeth and get ready for bed all around me, though a group of more fit hikers is still playing dice, another is talking.

The insect concert is in full swing, and here and there the croak of a frog is thrown in. In the wash area, close to where my bed is, an army of black-winged insects has taken residence around the light, and two huge moths, as big as my hand at least, are fascinating to watch. One of them I found on its back in the sink, obviously lured by the water; not a very fortunate position for a moth at all. I hope my turning it over and setting it in a place to dry its wings helped to restore it to flying condition.

We reached the camp close to six o'clock, me being the 'weakest link' by far, though Johann is staying with me – and so has been Jorge, our guide, patient and encouraging. It was tough, very tough in fact, mostly because I have such trouble catching my breath on the uphill of which there was quite a bit this afternoon already, even though, I suspect, it was nothing compared to what expects us tomorrow. Will I make it? I have the full intention, but I'm not sure I will. It'll be taxing me to the maximum of my ability.

But it's beautiful here! Today, we hiked through farmland, still relatively open, mostly consisting of cow pastures. The small Brahma (?) cattle with their huge drooping ears and large eyes look shiny and sleek, white, brown and grey, some black, some spotted. At one of the stops we got watermelon to eat, and a beautiful white bull was waiting at the fence, obviously well aware that he'd get the watermelon rinds. The juice was running out of his mouth while he chewed, enjoying the juicy treat as much as we did.

Much of the first hour and a half was uphill, though not too steep, and even there I had trouble catching my breath already. Then came a short respite before the next climb, which took us to 620 m from about 200 m– not much, I would have said before, but the humidity and heat make it tougher. In no time at all we were soaked with sweat, and my face had turned an interesting shade of red. 
 
Red-faced and happy for the break: Lucy and me
We reached the 'Mirador' – outlook – after what seemed an interminable climb, rounding one bend after the other on the steep, dried-mud trail. The view was indeed amazing. The green flanks of steep hills stretched far into the distance. Next followed a steep downhill, narrow and winding with a washed-out channel down the middle; this would be pure torture if it was raining. I'm not sure how we'd have managed; it's bound to become as slippery as soap if it rains. Hikers share the trail with a few motorbikes and many mules. The latter are used to transport everything to the camps and back, from food for the hikers, propane for cooking and anything else that is needed to huge bags of empty bottles and other things returning to El Mamey. The mules and motorbikes don't make the trails any better, of course. I'm trying not to think about the way back up ...

At the bottom of the steep ravine with its high mud walls the view opened up, and the tin roofs of the camp lay below us in a sea of yellow and red flowers, maybe five or ten minutes away. What a welcome sight! We crossed a small river via a plank bridge – and were waved on by Jorge.


 Oh no – this wasn't our camp yet! He promised that it wasn't much further, another fifteen or twenty minutes, but what a disappointment. Our legs were sooo tired. To keep going after we thought we were done for the day was as much a mental as a physical effort, maybe more. On top of it we were faced with another hill to climb. How good to finally arrive at our destination, not far away, as promised. The others were largely finished taking their showers, cold water only, of course, as everywhere here along the coast. It is refreshing in this climate, but I still don't like washing my hair with cold water very much. Thankfully we found two bottom bunks – even the thought of climbing the four rungs of a ladder was too much at this stage. The beds were all fitted with mosquito nets, a sure sign for the presence of these pesky creatures, but there is no concern regarding malaria here at least.

Tomorrow we'll be hiking 15 km, and much of it will be uphill. We'll do it in two parts, with about a two hour break in between to swim, eat, and visit an indigenous village. That should be interesting – IF I make it.

We have a very nice group, and everybody is very supportive of us 'oldies'. There are Tobias from Germany, closest in age to us but still twenty years our junior, Patrick from Holland, Lucy and CiarĂ¡n from Ireland, Sylvain and Sebastian from France, Theresa, Christiane and Ronja, also from Germany, all of them young enough to be our children, almost our grandchildren, and Johann and me, plus, most importantly, Jorge and the translator, Daniel, an artist who supplements his income with the translator job. Jorge has been staying with us, waiting patiently when I catch my breath, telling me to take small, slow, even steps (joining Johann in that advice). 'Tranquillo', he tells me time and again: take your time, don't worry, you'll make it.

I do feel bad for Johann who carries the extra heavy backpack, and I berate myself for not having insisted that the notebook stay back. Too late now. He doesn't have to pace himself to stay with Jorge and me; the weight slows him down to about my pace. By now I'm convinced that we'll need every piece of clothing we brought: my shirt was so soaking wet that I cannot imagine that it dries before morning, maybe not even before the end of the trip. It is very humid even now, and I expect we'll take all of our clothes and towels that now hang to dry off the lines as wet as they are now.

The dining hall













These fish are fried whole to a brown crisp. We got them a few times during the trip - very tasty!


There is beer for sale here, and almost all of us took advantage of it – did it ever taste good! The food was wonderful, but the portions way too big for me both for lunch and dinner. At dinner – here – we got a whole fried fish, rice, a patacone (fried plantain), salad, and a chocolate bar for dessert. If I don't make it it won't be for lack of food! Time to close this down: it is ten to nine, and the night will be over at five.

There is a TV running in the dining hall!! The people running it were watching soccer, and in between the kids were watching The Little Mermaid. Hard to believe, here.



No comments:

Post a Comment