Friday, March 15, 2013

Late morning in Camp Verde

Things are starting to move in twos here in the valley: two pale yellow butterflies soaring together over the still leafless tree across the parking lot, a couple of starlings hurrying by, two crows doing acrobatics. Spring is in the air! It is a strange thought, after yesterday's heat: spring. This seems so much more than the middle of summer. Yet, when we drove up from Payson yesterday there was snow on the side of the road at higher elevations, and the trees are only now starting to show a hint of green.

By chance I found a massage therapist here in town who agreed to work on me on short notice. My back has been giving me trouble since the strenuous hikes, and it would be nice to get relief to be able to move freely again. I suspect I ignored the fact that my body doesn't take hard impacts as graciously as it used to when I jumped off boulders instead of stepping down carefully.

We will leave town right after the massage and move on to Sedona. For tonight, we have booked a room at the other hostel in Flagstaff, the DuBeau, a 'sister hostel' to the Grand Canyon Hostel where we stayed a week ago. Here, the private room has a private bath as well, a luxury that's maybe not necessary, but certainly nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment